Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Horeb (2020)

 

This project was really the outcome of a test: I learned that I could use a cellphone to record with, and I wanted to see what I could do with it.
This album was released a month ago, but I'm going to talk about it like it's already old, okay? Because, to me, it kind of is, but that's just because I make so much material, it's easy for projects to get pushed to the back of my mind with every successive release.
This album is getting back into DSBM/Post-Black territory, with somewhat of a 'Stoner' edge. I was finally able to kick the alcohol habit by replacing it with cannabis. The glories of CBD, its medicinal value, and the very fact that it made smoking weed bearable (even pleasurable) again after so many years is nothing short of miraculous to me. I feel like it gave me my life back.
Because of it, I've rediscovered enjoyment in music. It made it fun again, and I'm really appreciative for it. That is a story of its own, but it's just to give some idea as to what went into these recent recordings.

I chose the name 'Horeb' for a few reasons. Recently I'd been studying Judaism, Kabbalah, Jewish Shamanism, and the like, so I wanted something that would reflect that.
A lot of Stoner bands are heavy on the Eastern Mysticism, so I thought it might be different to do something around Judaic concepts.
That, plus I was thinking of Sleep's "Holy Mountain."
Thus: Horeb.


 
(Horeb - s/t)


Guitars on this album are all acoustic. Vocals were recorded about 3 weeks earlier, in the wintry woods outside of Sawyerville, Quebec. Originally, the vocals were meant for a different project idea, but that didn't happen finally. Perhaps it's just as well, because I love the way the vox turned out on this offering.



For years I have been recording in my living-room (Ha! see? I'm not a 'bedroom' band, I record in my living room! Okay, I'll stop...), and I've had to devleop a different vocal style that wouldn't make my neighbors call the cops out of fear someone was being tortured in our home.
This means that my real vocals appear here on a recording, for the first time since this happened.

As stated before, vocals and guitar were recorded entirely with the cellphone 'voice recorder.' It's a painstaking process, but at least there is a process, and I'm thankful for that.

Download at 'Name Your Price' (free or donation): 
https://horeb.bandcamp.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Response to JTD's Comment

I couldn't reply to your comment, so I decided to just blog it instead: Thanks man, I appreciate your kind words. Rock on:) Yeah, we ...