Monday, February 24, 2020

Salat - Hayya Al Las Salah (2018)

There's a lot of backstory to this project, but I'm not feeling too well right now, so I don't know how much of it will be told.
I had been intrigued with Islam since about 2010, after having some dreams of attending a mosque (I had never visited one prior, nor did I even know the location of any in the Sherbrooke area, where I was living at the time.
I got a copy of the Qur'an, started studying it, and began learning about Islam as much as I could. It got to the point where I would have converted back then, but had no idea how to do so formally.

Anyways, in 2018 (and ever following the spiritual turmoil of 2015), I decided to give Islam another shot. I guess I was trying in some way to stay within the arena of Abrahamic Monotheism. Even though I had some serious quandaries over Christianity, which prompted me to investigate Truth from other perspectives, I still wanted to give Abrahamism a fair shot. 
In February of 2018 I decided to seriously immerse myself in Islam again. One reason was that I was having substance abuse problems again, after having been clean for three years between 2013-2016. I had actually gone out in the city looking for drugs on the street, having no idea what to do or who to talk to. When I couldn't find any, I resolved to go back the following night and try again.

On my way home, I reasoned with myself. The thought struck me: "Instead of becoming a drug addict again, spending hundreds of dollars on opioids, why not just go get that Qur'an for $120 that you've been wanting since 2016?"
I honestly considered whether or not this might be God, urging me in my conscience toward a higher ideal. I decided I would try it. At very least, it would be better than getting robbed in the city or taken advantage of, due to talking with the wrong people.

So, this is how I got into Islam for realzies this time. I spoke with a Sheikh at a local mosque, expressed my desire to convert, and he helped me through the formal process.
I learned firsthand that the perception of Islam (and Muslims in general) in Quebec is extremely distorted, based on false presumptions, and (more often than not) total ignorance. Not only were the people I met kind and loving, hospitable and pious, they were also generous beyond belief.
I can only express my absolute gratitude to them, for without them my wife and I would never have been married.

Unfortunately, even though I had refrained from succumbing to opioids at that time, I still had a blossoming alcohol habit. [Note: I had had some health issues in early 2017; although I was following my doctor's guidance, after several months the medication for treatment was making it worse, and not helping the problem: as a result, I started self-medicating with alcohol and also abusing my benzos. I've been trying to get my benzos straight, and the alcohol habit under control for the past two years.]

All this is to say that, I had a difficult time adjusting to Muslim life. I read Qur'an, I said my prayers, and I learned as much as I could about the religion, its history, and its various factions and offshoots. Even if the intellectual-mind had been fulfilled though (which, I'm sad to say, it wasn't, but that's part of a different story), I still had a daily alcohol habit, dealing with depression and anxiety.
I went to pray at the mosque frequently, but usually when no one else was there. I attended Friday prayers several times, but eventually I stopped going. I didn't know Arabic yet, and (antisocial introvert that I am) being in a crowd of people like that is excruciatingly painful for someone with anxiety or close-proximity issues.

Had that been the only problem, I would have remained with Islam and tried harder to persevere through the obstacles. But I began to become more nihilistic, hopeless, and depressed as a result of my health problems, and other circumstances which lent themselves to the deteriorating optimism that I had worked so hard to cultivate since 2011.
When one gets too depressed, starts thinking of only drugs, suicide, or whatever relief he can find... attending church or mosque becomes pretty difficult. It's just survival from one day to the next.
I eventually just felt like the people at mosque were too good for me. They didn't need me there contaminating their holy place with my presence.


                        
("Hayya Al Las Salah" Album cover)

Now on to the album! I haven't heard this album in a long time, so I don't remember what it sounds like overall. Some people have enjoyed it though, and it has seen a bit more popularity than some of my other work. 
The one awesome thing about this album (imo) is that it's the first time I collaborate with 'Noizen,' who masterfully graced my terrible compositions with the lovely strains of a wind-instrument known as a ney (apparently played by Sufi's or something, traditionally).
If for no other reason, you should listen to this album for his contribution alone.

This album is considered as 'Islamic White Metal,' and one of the things I wished to do with this album was to contribute a release in a form that I'm not sure had been done before: pro-Islamic extreme Metal.
There are a few 'Islamic' Black Metal bands out there, but they're only Islamic in that they live in Islamic countries. Aside from that, I think they're mostly against Islam

As my definition of 'White Metal' has expanded over the years to include music by bands/artists whose musical focus is the expression of  ideals, doctrines, and praxes commonly found in spiritualities orented in a more 'Right-hand path' direction. In addition to Christianity this can include Buddhism, Islam, aspects of Sanatana Dharma (especially of the Vaisnava variety), certain forms of Paganism, and even Wicca.
If Christianity doesn't have a monopoly on Truth, then 'White Metal' may just be any RHP-focused type of extreme Metal, which sees union with God, holiness, and purity as their ultimate goal. Basically, the theological opposite to Black Metal, in it's glorification of the Left-hand path.

Just to give an example... (Varg may not like it, but)... I have always felt Burzum's Belus to be one of the greatest 'White Metal' albums of all time, it is so spiritually uplifting. Actually, I think he would be pleased that his music uplifts the spirit to a higher ideal. 
Also Moonsorrow's "Verisäkeet." 

Lyrics to this album are actually the daily Islamic prayers. 
I tried to use somewhat of a different vocal style, modelling it after the sort of 'chanting' one uses to say the Islamic daily prayers. I had planned to refine this technique over subsequent albums, but... they never happened.
Actually, that's not true, there is a second Salat album out there, somewhere.

No guitars, just a distorted bass, and some drum tracks.

Consider this in lieu of an appropriate conclusion.

Download at 'Name Your Price' (free or donation): 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Response to JTD's Comment

I couldn't reply to your comment, so I decided to just blog it instead: Thanks man, I appreciate your kind words. Rock on:) Yeah, we ...