Friday, February 21, 2020

Sun Won't Rise (2012-2018)




Back in 2012, after years of being limited in available equipment an/or technology wherewith to create music at my leisure, I finally got a cheap PC, installed a demo version of FL Studio, Audacity freeware, and plugged my guitar directly into the computer (line-in).
This newfound freedom to experiment musically, in combination with amphetamine/2c-b abuse and benzodiazepine withdrawal, gave birth to Sun Won't Rise. I guess one could say I used this project as practice, or a test. Once I became more familiar with the overall process, I would eventually decide that I should be doing music with more purpose behind it.

It should be noted that, despite my drug abuse/withdrawal, I was struggling to quit and get my life in a more stable place. For that reason, there is overlap between personal issues behind all of these projects, no matter what their intended spiritual focus (or lack thereof, in some cases) may be.


 
(photo taken by Jewel, in Sawyerville QC @ my dad's place circa 2012) 


It may not be much of a surprise, to those who know about me, that the first three SWR albums were recorded within days of one another, and all intended for different projects. It occurred to me that the sound was similar enough, yet the music diverse enough, to give the impression of a single project with an evolved progression across albums.
I took some time trying to find a name to unify them under. I spent days (no lie) high on amphetamines, scouring the dictionary, looking at words and definitions, noting the ones that I found interesting.
None of them were satisfactory, they all sucked. At some point, in my conundrum, I looked at the sun shining outside, and with typical Black Metal sarcastic cynicism I blurted out "Sun won't RISE!" as a joke. It made me laugh, but upon reflection I thought it sounded pretty cool, so it worked.
I used the artist name 'Michelle Massacre,' which was a name I had been using since 2010 post-AnHero.

Music on the first three albums was entirely improvised, essentially me making up riffs on the spot as I recorded guitar over the drum tracks. Vocals were screeched into a cheap microphone, consisting of me just 'throat-growling' morbid crap and overlaying the vocals with a bit of distortion afterwards. I wasn't able to do my regular Black Metal screams and wails (due to living in an apartment).

Not wanting the neighbors to call the cops for suspicion of violent murder-victims screaming, I developed a method whereby I could growl softly into the mic, but modify it later to make it sound like loud screams. This was done simply by adding a bit of distortion and echo/reverb, and finding the desired tone.

At this period, I was spontaneously creating albums left-and-right. Being constantly high on speed alternately with 2c-b, I'd often create about 2-3 albums per week.
Boom. That's an album. "I feel like playing guitar." Boom. That's another album. "I've been up for 5 days straight."

(photo from 2012, taken by (now wife) Jewel in Montreal QC, wearing both cross and baphometic sigil)

Eventually, I decided that my music should be used to greater purpose, rather than just give vent to my strange whims and nihilistic emotions. Ever striving to strive toward a spiritual focus, I put SWR aside in order to resurrect Rotting Serpent.

Many albums (and several projects) later, I brought SWR back in 2018 with the album "Not Here, Not Now." (Note: I honestly had no idea there was a Swans release of the same title, I've never heard it, nor listened to them... although, I've heard things.)
This album, while showing a continuity from the raw post-black sound of 2012's "Hang In There Baby!", undoubtedly also has better production and sound quality. It even sounds like the songs were written in advance (which they were not, they almost never are).

Musically, it's probably best described as a mixture of Post-Black Metal, and Sludgy Doom Rock riffs. At this time, I was influenced by Jesu and 'slowcore' music in general.
Instead of amphetamines, or other drugs, 2018 saw me developing an alcohol problem as a response to certain physical and emotional ailments (which I've been battling pretty much all my life). I hope some of that pain translates into my music at least, making some thought-provoking art, and possibly turning something negative into something positive..... or just negative. Whatever.

(photo taken by Jewel circa 2014, rare meetup and jam session with former bandmate and longtime friend RĂ©mi Bilodeau)

Finally, the Metal-Archives Bio has been outdated for years. 'White Zion PRDKSHNZ' hasn't existed for a long time, and my 'girlfriend' is now my wife. It was a long road from 2012-2018, strange and interesting. It continues to be, even now, and that is fine.

Download from Bandcamp 'Name Your Price' (free or donation):

https://sunwontrise.bandcamp.com/

Mediafire links: 

"Ballads to Beckon the End" (2012)

"Hang In There, Baby!" (2012)

"Not Here, Not Now" (2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Response to JTD's Comment

I couldn't reply to your comment, so I decided to just blog it instead: Thanks man, I appreciate your kind words. Rock on:) Yeah, we ...