Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Euphemism - Gathered Here Together (2020)

                             
(Album cover photo taken by yours truly @ local cemetery)

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think that Gathered Here Together is some of my best work; at very least, it is some of the best work I've done in a long time. It's funny, I say that while listening to some new music I've made over the past week, for a new album (and new project? TBA) as yet unreleased, which I also think is some of my best work (albeit, a totally different genre).

Euphemism is Funeral Doom with clean vocals, that was the idea. Specifically, what I was going for was to really capture the sound of what it might sound like for a Doom Metal band to be performing at an actual funeral or wake. As such, the majority of background synths are only organ(s) and a lonely piano.
A lot of cannabis was used in this recording. Switching from alcohol to cannabis has greatly increased my creative output, and I daresay the quality of it(?), and certainly elevated the quality of my life overall. Aside from the marijuana psychosis, depersonalization, and the gaze of Lovecraftian beings peering at me from an unseen vantage point, I feel almost sane again.

There are a few reasons for my choice to use clean vocals, as opposed to the typical windy growls so commonplace in Funeral Doom generally. Actually, that's one of the reasons right there, I wanted to try something different and unique. 
In addition to this, I have been wanting to use clean vocals for some time now, and only recently (thanks to the cell phone) have I been able to experiment with real singing again.

It's strange, I used to be such a song writer. I had songs where I actually sung, but all of those early recordings (1997-2001) are sadly lost to the annals of time and memory (probably no one else's but my own, I'd imagine, as anyone else who was there at the time wasn't interested in whatever music I was doing).
All that is to say, that I'm glad to be able to try clean vocals again. The album Blood Sacrifice (by Exalted Saviour) was supposed to have had only clean vocals, but the microphone I had was terrible for recording them. You could growl in it, and gurgle, but it wouldn't do justice to clean singing.

(Alternate Euphemism logo prototype)

Anyways, whatever... this Euphemism album is easily one of my favorites so far. Recorded (mostly) within a few days in Feb. 2020 (the exception being the drum/synth foundation to the track "Funeral Home," which was composed sometime in 2019).
I figured 'Euphemism' was an interesting name for a band, and one that hadn't been used before. As of now, my project is the only one on Metal-Archives going by that name, one I'd actually thought of using since 2012. Fun factoid.

Only later did I look up the lore associated with the word and it's etymology (which appears in the bio on the Euphemism bandcamp page, linked below).

Musically, I think it does well in the 'Funeral Doom' genre, but there are moments when obvious influences from My Dying Bride (see "Weeping") and other usual suspects bleed through.
The execution is sloppy at times, not always perfectly on time, but who cares? As a whole, it fits quite well, the haphazard approach giving it an 'underground' quality.

I love every song on this album, except for maybe "Funeral Home," which at least serves well to ... I dunno, something. It does something. Now that I hear it, it's still pretty good. Funeral Doom with Nirvana vocals, haha.
"Black Velvet Drape," in my opinion, is the one track that should be listened to in total. Really, in order to get the full effect of the atmosphere/emotion, the entire album should be heard as a whole, beginning to end in its entirety; but barring that, at very least the last track should be heard. Everything works on it, it's almost a microcosm of the record itself.



I'm listening to the song "Weeping" right now, and honestly, if I didn't know this was me, I'd think it was some underground UK Doom outfit lol. I almost forgot it was me for a second, lost myself in my own music. I love when that happens.
It almost makes me feel as if it (my music, my art) matters; or at least it serves the illusion.

These albums are the soundtrack of my broken dreams, shattered hopes, fears, regrets... everything.

"Misery wakens..."

Download at 'Name Your Price' (free or donation): 

2 comments:

  1. This release is beautiful. I absolutely love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, a comment like this means the world to me.

      Delete

Response to JTD's Comment

I couldn't reply to your comment, so I decided to just blog it instead: Thanks man, I appreciate your kind words. Rock on:) Yeah, we ...